Friday 31 October 2014

Tips for mums: W5 Using domestic light.



Week 4 was about trying to switch off on camera flash, but now the days are getting shorter, there isn’t enough natural light, so what to do?

Week 5 tips is therefore abouth using domestic light :).

Once as my boy was watching his favourite story on my computer the light bulb in my head flashed. The light is everywhere around us and because the sun is down, it does not mean we have to pack our cameras and say good night to them as well or switch on the flash!
 
Here is the image, which started it all. He was watching a short story on YouTube. I left as much white background on the website as possible to get enough light for me to photograph. I did not care how grainy the image will be, just wanted to capture his expression.



Look for the light everywhere; fridge, table lamp, bedside lamp, monitor light, tablet basically any light strong enough to create an image.

Hugo loves playing on our bed, there are 2 bedside lamps which I pointed at him, so the background would stay dark

Table lamp on the shelf about 1m high

Table lamp on the ground
Most of the time I turn these images into B&W because the directional light creates deep shadows so there is nice contrast perfect for B&W images. :)


Try out:
 
try taking pics of you children while watching story, opening fridge or playing with torch :). Upload your favourite to my ZuHuda Photography Facebook page and I will re-post my favourite one.

No comments:

Post a Comment